When it’s a card directly to Mum, the one who’s been there through the ups and downs, the good and the bad (and the one who’s had to put up with your terrible taste in music – I’m totally not talking about myself here!), you should say thank you, in a way that’s as unique as your relationship.
Here’s a few suggestions…
- “Mum, you’re magic. You’ve always put me first, so let’s make today all about you.”
- “Mama, thanks for putting up with us! We love you like crazy.”
- “Mam, you’re my first friend, my best friend, and my friend forever.”
- “I’m so glad we reconnected, Mother. Your friendship, love and support means so much more to me now.”
I also love this poem ”What Mother Means” by Karl Fuchs, which simply expresses how everything you are, your mother shaped you to be:
“Mother” is such a simple word,
But to me, there’s meaning seldom heard.
For everything I am today,
My mother’s love showed me the way.”
(I’ve linked the Poetry Foundation’s collection of Poems About Motherhood here also, as some of them are truly lovely!)
For Grandmas, Grans, Grannies and Nannies
Mother’s Day isn’t all about Mum, because Grandma - of course – has also been there for it all, told the best tales and overcome every challenge with a smile.
Here’s some inspiration so that you can show Grandma some love too…
- “Nanny, your stories are simply the best. I could listen to you tell them forever!”
- “There’s no place like home (except Grandma’s) Happy Mother’s Day Grandma!”
(This one is my personal favourite!)
- “Happy Mother’s Day, Gran. You’re the most inspiring, interesting and loved person I know. Thanks for always being there for me!”
I also found this quote by Barbara Cage which I’m really fond of:
For the Step-Mums
Mother’s Day is also a great opportunity to show affection and appreciation for your Step-Mum, someone who might not be your biological Mum but who has shown you a lot of love and support over the years…
- “To my amazingly wicked Step Mum, thanks for proving fairytales wrong”
(If your Step Mum has a wicked sense of humour, I love how fun this would be in a card – thank goodness fairy tales were not accurate when it comes to Step Mums! In fact, this quote actually came from one of our favourite pairs of socks from our Mother’s Day collection…)
- You showed me that stepmoms aren’t evil. You also taught me that some frogs stay frogs. Thanks for setting the record straight.
(Another humorous one, just because we liked the last one so much!)
- “I lucked out when I gained you as a bonus mum! How many people can say they have two amazing mothers?!”
- “I didn’t start my life loving you, but now I can’t imagine life without you.”
Finally, for the ‘Like-a-Mums’
For when maybe your mum couldn’t be around, here’s to the mother that scooped you up and took you on like her own. Some women – just like her – were made to be mums.
- “With love to an amazing human, from someone who hopes to be as half as amazing as you are someday.”
- “Happy Mother’s Day to a super woman I’ll always admire, appreciate and love!”
- “I’m forever grateful, and I look up to you more than you know.”
Inspired to write a heartfelt message to a Mum that means everything?
Don’t forget that you can always add a personalised gift note for free when you shop with us (especially useful if you want to send a lovely gift straight to them!), because we know that sometimes, a personalised note to remind Mum how great she is or to say ‘I Love You’ can mean the world!